By Amy Bonds
Grounded Therapy is participating in the Trans Rights Reathadthon which is a decentralized fundraiser seeking to read and elevate trans authors and stories throughout the week of March 20-27, 2023. This fundraiser was created by Sim Kern on TikTok in response to all of the anti trans legislation that has been happening around the country. I encourage you to check out the hashtag #transrightsreadathon on TikTok to learn more about how other creators are getting involved, learn about organization and get book recommendations.
Grounded Therapy will not be creating our own fundraising page but will be encouraging individuals to donate to various organizations. Some examples would be the Trans Health Fund through the Trans Legal Center. The Trans Health Fund provides resources to trans individuals who are facing investigation, arrest or prosecution for accessing health care, you can donate here, transgenderlawcenter.org/thlf-donate.
One of the amazing features of having a decentralized fundraiser is that you can participate and donate to an organization that is important to you or within your community! There are currently 420 anti-LGBTQ bills in the United States which feels so impossible to put into words. These bills threaten access to gender affirming care, freedom of expression and so much more. I encourage you to learn more about what’s happening in your state and see if there are any organizations that you can support through the trans readathon.
If you want to participate in the trans rights readathon, follow the following steps!
- I encourage you to sign up through the following link.
- Select your organization that you will be donating to and how you want to donate. You could select a flat rate, pledge for chapters or books.
- Share with your community! This could be on social media or in person to the people in your community.
Here are some book recommendations to get you started. I will continue adding to this list as we get closer to the readathon. I encourage to check out the hashtag because there are so many different creators making recommendations that are amazing!
- Transgender Warriors by Leslie Feinberg
- Man Alive: A True Story of Violence, Forgiveness and Becoming a Man by Thomas Page McBee
- Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More by Janet Mock
- Gender Failure by Ivan E. Coyote and Rae Spoon
- The Transgender Issue: An Argument for Justice by Shon Faye
- Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg
- Whipping Girl by Julia Serano
- Life Isn’t Binary by Alex Iantaffi & Meg-John Baker
- The Queer and Transgender Resilience Workbook by Anneliese A. Singh
- Trans Bodies Trans Selves by Lauren Erickson-Schroth
- Beyond the Gender Binary by Alok Vaid Menon
- Transgender History by Susan Stryker
- Side Affects by Hil Malatino
- Black on Both Sides: A Radical History of Trans Identity by C. Riley Snorton
- Histories of the Transgender Child by Jules Gil-Peterson
- Before We Were Trans: A New History of Gender by Kit Heyam
- Female Husbands: A Trans History by Jen Manion
- Uncomfortable Labels by Laura Kate Dale
- Gender Euphoria by Laura Kate Dale
- House of Impossible Beauties by Joseph Cassara
- Hell Follows With Us by Andrew Joseph White
- Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars by Kai Cheng Thom
- Pet by Akawaeke Emezi
- Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao
- Always the Almost by Edward Underhill
- The Companion by EE Ottoman
- The Doctors Discretion by EE Ottoman
- Love and Other Disasters by Anita Kelley
- Wrath Goddess Sing by Maya Deane
- Detransition Baby by Torrey Peters
- Cemetery Boys by Alden Thomas
- If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo